Tuesday, December 29, 2009

THAT IS CRAP!

I was blown away by all the posts, emails, and phone calls I got over my “Christmas with the Cops” entry last night. Thanks for your concern as well as your advice, and thank you for sharing your stories of unjust police. I am still unsure as to what to do. I talked to an attorney and he said the only type of recourse the police ever pay attention to is when they have to answer to the media. He said that in Utah we are so pro-police that when these things go to court the civilian almost never wins…no matter what. Even when the wrongfully accused are tazered, beaten with nightsticks, or even attacked by K-9 dogs. If the details of those cases fell on the deaf ears of judge and jury, my case will never fly either. Having said that, and without being on a witch-hunt to nail cops who screw up, I do feel there is much to be done via petitioning the state legislature, the governor, and so on to improve police policy in these areas. I will most likely launch a campaign through the media and then use whatever other resources that become available to make sure the wrongfully accused have basic rights. I am still hashing out in my mind what I personally think some of those rights should be. For one, if the incident costs the wrongfully accused money to fix the damage done by the police, I think the police should have to pay for it. I think there should be an automatic system in place for the wrongfully accused to have immediate and free access to all police recordings (9-1-1 calls, radio transmissions, and dash cam video) that are relevant to the case. Then after viewing everything that took place, the wrongfully accused can decide what to do about how everything was handled by police.
If I chose to fight this, the most important thing for everyone to understand is that I am not doing this for myself. I am so over what happened. The part I can’t get over is how many of you have told me of similar stories from within your own circle of influence and not once has the police been held accountable in any way, nor have the police cooperated with the innocent victim in their quest to obtain the police recordings about the incident. THAT IS CRAP!
Now, on to my weight loss. I got up and had a great walk this morning. 2 or 3 miles I’d guess and I packed some small dumbbells for some extra resistance to my arms. I’ve had a hard time eating my small meals every 2 or 3 hours today because I’ve been down to the farm most of the day, but I have ate healthy when I did eat. I am excited to be back on track after the Holidays and with the exception of a New Year’s party, I am planning on perfect eating all week and then eating healthy forever after the first of the year.
The other cool thing was that all of the clothes I got for Christmas were too big for me by the time the presents were opened. I took everything back and got a gift card and as I drop sizes I’ll go buy some new clothes. That will be awesome when I hit that landmark.
Sorry to have posted so much news about my police case. If I launch a campaign against the “man” I’ll start posting the updates under a different blog address so it does not take away from this one.
Thanks for reading and I’ll catch you all tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I personally wouldn't mind if you post it all on this blog, Brent. It's all part of your life and that's why we tune in!

    ReplyDelete