Saturday, March 13, 2010

For me personally, I just set a goal to beat all of the runners who showed up in Levis.

What a race! So there I was, milling around with the other runners at the starting line and I soon got the feeling that everyone was talking in low voices about little ol’ me. It turns out that in every race there is a “man-to-beat.” It also turns out that at this particular race, I, yours truly, was that man…but not for the usual reasons. In most cases, the man-to-beat is the fastest and most well-trained athlete at the event, and beating him/her would mean you were pretty hot stuff yourself. But in my case, the man-to-beat meant no one wanted to lose to “that 300 pound guy”…which like alluded too, puts a huge bulls-eye on my back.

For me personally, I just set a goal to beat all of the runners who showed up in Levis. There were around ten and I lumbered past eight of them by the time the finish line was behind me.

All in all, the race was awesome. Of course the race promoters lied about the whole thing being downhill…I should have known. Most of the upward sloops I handled okay, but the last one, a real steep sucker by any 300 pounder’s standards, was a real bear, and if my favorite sister-in-law would not have been there pushing me on, I’m not sure if I’d of made it up without walking. I mean, I’d like to think I’d of motored on up, but I really can’t say. I was closer to sheer exhaustion on that hill than I’ve been in years and years. Thanks, Sue, for keeping me vertical in those final moments! Oh, and I’m sad that your waiting to motivate your less-speedy bro-in-law will mean your name and finish-time will be posted in the Tooele Transcript Bulletin with less than the illustrious time that you truly deserve. Sorry Sis…but thanks again. You’re the best!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go on another 5K! I missed your weigh-in Friday. I hope things are still progressing in the right direction. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good job Brent. I wish I could have been there.

    ReplyDelete